Obviously, I’m a little bummed that I’m not on a beach with a kick ass book in one hand and an ice cold Corona in the other, BUT, until then, I’m going to do the little things that bring me happiness every day. What relieves my stress? Running.
A little R&R (Running and Rap Music)
Running sucks at first for anyone trying to get into it. I remember because I’ve been there. Now I absolutely love it. It’s relaxing to me, and it makes me feel SO much better no matter what. (Not complete BS, I swear).
How to make running not absolutely suck:
- Make a kick-ass playlist.
- Get some running gear that makes you want to rock it.
- Get some good sneakers.
- Run outside, see some beautiful places. Plus, it takes the gym pressure away.
- Stretch before and after. Listen to your music, stretch, and take some you time. Plus, please for the love of God just do it anyway, because you will get sore!
- Go at YOUR own pace. It’s not a competition.
- Don’t be afraid to walk at times. It’s not a sprint, it’s about not giving up.
- Download an app to track your distance (Run Keeper is great).
- Invest in an arm strap for your phone to play music. (I got mine for $5 at Target!)
- Eat a little something before. (Power bar, eggs, protein shake, PB-banana-toast, etc.)
- Drink lots of water. Make the time, guys.
- Don’t put pressure on yourself. Realize that building stamina takes time.
- Sign up for a race. Set a goal to work towards.
How To Go From A Walk/Jog To A Run:
*3 times a week, every other day for starters*
DAY ONE: Warm up: Walk 3 minutes,
- Walk 3 minutes, run 1 minute (with incline and changing speeds) 5 times.
Total: 20 min
DAY TWO: Warm up: Walk 3 minutes
- Walk 2 minutes, run 3 min. ( 5 times)
Total: 25 min
DAY THREE: Warmup: Walk 2 minutes
- Walk 1 min., run 5 minutes ( 5 times)
Total: 30 min
Remember to always stretch before and after!
My Personal Run:
–> Warm Up:
- 10 minute stretch. Relaxin’, listening to music, and stretching out.
- 3 Minute walk. Incline: 5 for 1 min., 10 for 1 min., 14 for 1 min. Speed: 4.5
- (No incline). Speed: 6.5 I make a bomb playlist, and for every chorus or “drop,” I’ll sprint, then return to my normal speed. (sprint speed varies, usually 9-9.5)
- Distance: 4 -5 miles
- I choose pretty places and paths to run. I love running along water fronts.
- Stadium runs are my favorite. I can use the track and use the bleachers for my incline workout.
- I use the app: Run Keeper to keep track of everything I do.
My Pandora Stations:
- The Chainsmokers *Great drops to sprint to*
- Steve Aoki
- 2000s Hip Hop
- Ty Dolla $ign
- Bryson Tiller
- Torey Lanez
- J. Cole
- 2000s R&B
Stay Golden. Keep running even though it sucks at first.