I live in a small town in Maine where winter consumes our year. I know so many people who struggle with seasonal depression during these treacherous months. Honestly, it sucks sometimes. We don’t feel the sunshine for months at a time, and it really does take its toll on people. Over the weekend, the sun was shining and we finally felt its warmth. It’s about damn time.
It was so freakin’ amazing to see people come back to life. Everyone was out walking, runners were running with big smiles on their faces, motorcycles were revving, radios were up and windows were down, it was pure happiness all around.
Spirits were high and everyone’s happy seemed to be loud. It was like a breath of fresh air.
Sure, the winter is fun in Maine if you’re into ice fishing, snowmobiling, and hitting the slopes, but for some, it’s really difficult. If you can’t make the most of it, you’re stuck feeling cold and miserable. But I guess that’s life, right? You either make the most of crappy times or you let it destroy your spirit, sitting around waiting for better times.
The point is, the sunshine is a powerful thing. I’m the type of girl that is the first one outside on a nice day, jumping in my car throwing the windows down and my favorite music to the highest volume possible. But why do we wait for nice days to have our souls feel so alive? Why can’t we feel so high on the cold days, too?
I think it comes from not knowing how to have that “sunshine” (corny as hell but stay with me) within. If you can’t feel that excitement in all seasons, you need to change something about your life. Granted, nothing feels better than a sunny day. But I want you to have that in your soul, and not depend on outside sources to feel that happiness.
You’re not always going to be in a place where the sun is shining bright on your face. Sometimes, it will come in glimpses behind the fleeting clouds, and others it will feel nonexistent. I want to give you the tools to have your soul feel on fire through those days.
So, how the hell do you stay golden without the sun?
- Do the little things for yourself. Buy yourself a donut. Workout. Play your favorite songs and jam out in your car.
- Go exploring. Find some amazing views and take it all in.
- Read a kick ass book. Books are an awesome escape. Use them and take a step away from the real world for a hot minute.
- Hang out with your friends. Don’t isolate yourself. Get out there and go grab some coffee, a drink, some food, whatever you want to do, just get out and do it.
- Try something new. Go to a new restaurant, town, any place, really. Try some weird food, try a drink at Dunkin’ Donuts you haven’t tried yet.
- Treat ‘yo self. Go buy a new shirt, get your nails or hair done, buy something at Target that you don’t really need but just want. It sounds silly, but you would be amazed at how much a little something for yourself can lift your spirits.
- Clean your house. When your house looks good, you’ll feel better. Clean, rearrange, light some candles, maybe break out the vacuum cleaner. This is your sanctuary. You want it to be clean and comforting.
- Get yourself a planner. Organize your thoughts, make some goals, and cross them off! Don’t knock it ’til you try it. Crossing things off this list will make you feel awesome, and being organized will make you feel like you have your shit together even if you don’t.
- Surround yourself with the right people. You want people to bring happiness to your life, not darkness and anxiety. Choose your people carefully, my friends.
- Go for a drive. Even if it’s around your home town, it’s actually pretty relaxing to just drive with no destination in mind.
Keep this list in mind, I’ll go back to it on the less than golden days.